RTN: VANISHING AVAILABLE OCTOBER 13, 2017!

Get ready for The Road to Nowhere book 3!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Just Another Day

While growing up in Washington State, I would spend a majority of my childhood's rainy days indoors. This gave me the time to find out how much I enjoyed reading. Comic books quickly segued into full length novels. One of the most distinct memories regarding books I have is with The Hobbit.  I'd purchased it from Walden Books, which was one of my favorite stores in the mall.

I believe that there were few of my eleven-year-old friends which were rewards members at the store. I had been on a Choose Your Own Adventures kick, and after finishing the series, asked one of the employees what was good. He pointed me towards The Hobbit. That was the first step in becoming a reader, and in turn, a writer.

The books I grew up with were generally fantasy and horror fiction. A smattering of sci-fi and Sherlock Holmes also made their way to my bookshelf. I immersed myself in Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, and even Clive Barker. There was a time in middle school that going through a three to four hundred page book per day wasn't out of the ordinary.

In my early college years I lived in a house with two friends. There was less time to read with working and homework. It wasn't until I enlisted, and was stationed in Germany, that my love of books was able to take off once again.

Wake up was at 5:45AM. for morning Physical Training. We had to be shaved, rooms cleaned, uniforms on and squared by the 6:30 AM formation. Then an hour to an hour and a half of exercise. This was usually running or calisthenics. This gave me about an hour to shower, eat, and get to work. There was almost always enough time to squeeze in a few minutes of reading. My lunch was the normal 12-1. Work would end between 5-7 P.M. on the most part. After getting home, it was a quick shower and meal before relaxing at the end of the day with a book in my hands once again.

My days were often redundant, with the exception of my down time. I would usually watch a movie or television box set. One of my favorite genres is the B-movie. Everything from the old black and white style, to the modernly cheesy Bs of today. These were on DVD then. Television consisted of a military channel and local German television stations.

I had several rough drafts I'd been working on, but it wasn't until I was stationed at Ft. Polk, Louisiana when I really had the time to work on my craft. If it wasn't for Amazon or their self-publishing, These books I intend to release would be sitting in a box.

In appreciation for my readers, I have decided it's time to do a giveaway. It will be for February 14th, 2013. I would also like to do a few signed copy giveaways this year. More details will be forthcoming.

With writing, I am no longer able to read as often as I would like. One thing I did notice, my writing style will vary, depending on which author I am reading. This is both good and bad. When my wife critiques after finishing a chapter, she often asks what I've been reading. Most recently I had to delete a complete chapter in book two of The Road to Nowhere.

Anyway, I have to get back to writing.

-Lee